Is your company looking to evolve its financial management model, have you looked at both Business Central and Finance and Operations solutions, but maybe you’re not sure which one is the best fit for your company? In this series of posts we tell you about the main functionalities and differences between them to help you make the best possible decision.
First of all, let us tell you a little bit about the history of both F&O and Business Central.
Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations (formerly Dynamics AX) is an ERP solution developed to cover mainly large and medium-sized organisations, which deal with “End-to-End” operations (distribution, retail, production, etc.) and complex and comprehensive processes in the financial area.
Business Central (formerly NAV or Navision), this ERP is designed for small and medium-sized organisations. Business Central is well suited for companies with less complex financial processes. This does not mean that it is not suitable for large companies, but rather that its implementation, production and operation model require less technical and operational complexity.
Of course, both systems can be successfully integrated in a variety of business scenarios. The following table summarises the various possibilities so that whatever decision is taken, you will have all the clues. We have separated them into 4 blocks: Approach, Technical features, Business-to-business interaction, and Mobility:
|Functionality||D365 Business Central||D365 Finance and Operations F&O|
|Approach||• ERP for small and medium-sized companies. It covers all the company’s management processes.|
• Microsoft Business Central (formerly Dynamics NAV) is the ERP for small and medium-sized businesses.
• It is a solution for managing accounting and finance, the entire supply chain, operations and other business processes.
|• ERP for Large Enterprises. |
• Companies with comprehensive management processes in the area of finance and with financial operations in many countries.
• Microsoft F&O (formerly Dynamics AX) is the ERP solution for large companies and multinationals. Dynamics AX is a global solution that offers functions for the integrated management of international operations for retail, manufacturing, professional services and distribution companies.
|Technical characteristics||• Number of users: 1+ up to approx. 200|
• Companies with 1 to 200 employees approx.
• The project team for implementations is usually smaller.
• Relatively short implementation response time (approximately 1-6 months).
• Lower investment in implementation.
• In addition to the standard implementation, a large number of add-ons are available for additional functions.
• Business Central uses 80% of the core business logic, thus consuming fewer resources. There are many industry-specific out-of-the-box solutions available to shorten implementation time and allow for a smaller implementation team.
|• Number of users: 200+|
• Companies with more than 200 employees.
• Larger project teams are needed to cover the total business processes.
• Implementation turnaround time of 6 to 9 months.
• The standard solution itself already offers a large number of functions.
• Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations uses 95% of the core business logic, making it a much more complex application for defining and managing projects.
|Interaction between companies.||• It supports the handling of transactions differently between entities.|
• It is less suitable for use in international environments requiring multiple locations. Although there are additional modules and add-ons to support this.
|• It integrates seamlessly into different workplaces, even multinational or complex international environments with many transactions within the organisation.|
• Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations is localised for many countries, so it is easy to deploy in multiple countries from a central configuration (this does not require additional add-ons).
|Mobility||• Full integration of Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM.|
When choosing an ERP system, it is important to look at the future and the specific characteristics of your business. Dynamics 365 Business Central and Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations are both powerful solutions, but it is very important to choose the one that really fits your needs.
Do you want specific advice?
Do you find it difficult to determine, or do you still have doubts about the best option for your company? At Dynamics365providers we can help you. Not only can we advise you and resolve your product concerns, but we can also put you in touch with the partner who best suits your business needs and who knows the business sector in which your company operates. We can help you in three easy steps! Contact us today.
Looking for a partner?
As an official Value Add SMB Distributor for Microsoft Dynamics we promise:
- Free service
- 70+ certified partners
- All verticals covered